Pages

Sunday, March 5, 2017

G'day from Australia

Desert climate in Queensland
Hello everyone!


Some of you may or may not have noticed that I haven't been around Purdue's campus this semester... that is because I'm currently studying abroad in Australia, and I must say, I have been absolutely loving it!  On top of the fact that I got to avoid the cold, Indiana winter and indulge in the 70 degree F Aussie weather, I have had a fantastic time so far making new friends, exploring the country, and being active in my residence college.

Goondiwindi cotton fields
Currently, I am taking the following classes: genomic analysis and bioinformatics, cotton production,  digital and social media, and ecology of plant populations.  I absolutely love the genomics class, because it's allowed me to get more savvy with the R program many geneticists use to detect QTL's, work on genome wide association studies, etc.  It has also been really interesting learning more about Australian agriculture, and particularly agronomy, in my cotton class.  Two weeks ago, I had the opportunity to go on a 3-day cotton excursion in Goondiwindi, Queensland, where I learned a lot about their irrigation systems, cotton gins and grading, and what the overall growing season is like.

Cheering on Ablies rugby as
they played against Sydney
Beyond the classroom, I have been extremely involved in St. Albert's residence college.  In Australia, the concept of residence college is a lot different than residence halls in the US.  St. Albert's is very much a social organization, with opportunities to get involved in sports, religious activities, networking with alumni, and of course, academics.  I've had a blast so far, making new friends, cheering on our Albies rugby team, and attending the many social events our college puts on.




All dressed up for Albies Ladies Day

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the rest of my semester goes in Australia, and I can't wait to come back home and share with all my friends and family all that I've learned and the memories I've made.  For now, I have a major ecology essay to write... 📚 "Work hard, play hard," as our Albies Deputy Head, says. 😉

You can also keep up with my Australian adventure at my travel blog:

http://hallieinthelandofaus.blogspot.com.au/



Cheers,

Hallie

No comments:

Post a Comment