Pages

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

A Semester in New Zealand


Greetings from New Zealand everyone!



This semester I decided to study abroad through a Purdue exchange program at Massey University in Palmerston North, New Zealand. I am going to share with you some of my experiences and what it is like living in another country. My adventure begins in early February when I got on a plane and left the US for the first time in my life. When I arrived in New Zealand I was able to tour around the North Island with some Purdue students and after a week on the road settled into Massey. With schoolwork taking up most of my weekdays I traveled around during weekends with friends I met from all over the world. Below are some pictures highlighting the places I have been.

Redwood Forest in Rotorua

Massey University Alpine Club from the Bell Rock lookout

Last weekend we climbed Mt Ngauruhoe (aka Mt. Doom).
This hike was the most physically challenging thing I have done to date.

Boiler Up! On the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.

Visited the Hobbiton Movie set from the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit Films. 

New Zealand agronomy is quite different than what agronomy is back in the states. The concepts are the same but they focus pretty much completely on forage and pasture production rather than crop production. Both the sheep and dairy industries are huge here in New Zealand as they export lots of lamb and milk powder to many parts of Asia and the Pacific south. The cows and sheep are sustained through pasture grazing which differs completely from the States. Everywhere you drive you can view sheep grazing on the hillsides and the beautiful green pastures, as seen below, are evident through most of New Zealand. The hardest things to get used to in New Zealand for me were driving on the opposite side of the road and all of the slang words the kiwi's use. The Kiwi people are very accommodating and do not shy away from helping an international student out. 

The land divided at cloud level on the summit of Mt. Tauhara in Taupo, NZ. 


I have been in New Zealand for almost 2 months and I can agree with why so many people call New Zealand the most beautiful country in the world! In 2 weeks time, I will be traveling around the south island during a two-week Easter break. If you are contemplating studying abroad or want to learn more, the college of agriculture has a wonderful study abroad office that can give you so many resources to help you fulfill your dreams. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at: 

chupp1@purdue.edu

Cheers,

Andrew Chupp


No comments:

Post a Comment