Pages

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Semester Wrap-Up

Welcome to finals week my fellow Boilermakers!

            Wow, has this semester flown by! It feels like just yesterday we were all returning back to campus! Though I love all the breaks we have throughout the school year, Christmas break is one of my favorites! There are so many wonderful traditions this time of year!
            Last week the Horticulture Club had our annual Christmas party. We gathered at Dr. Dana’s home in Lafayette. We had a carry in dinner and a white elephant gift exchange as well. In the exchange the Hort. Club tradition is to pass around the Pinecone Santa. I ended up with it last year, so it was my year to return it, hidden in a gift to wait and see who got it this year. Luckily, the only Santa I got this year was on a plate that says “cookies for Santa” along with a mug and some Christmas dish towels.
            In my family, we have some special traditions that we do together. One day over break we set aside for all the grandkids and my aunts to all go to my Grandma’s house to make Christmas cookies together. Thankfully she has a large kitchen for us to do this in because we make many different cookies as well as dipped candies too.
            Another one of my favorite traditions is going to church on Christmas Eve with my family. Usually it is a late service, around midnight, so that by the end it is Christmas morning. The music always sounds good because we sing Christmas songs that everyone is familiar with. In our church, we put large wooden candle holders in the windows that we only use for the Christmas Eve service. My favorite part is the last song. We stand in a circle and sing Silent Night. Everyone has hand held candles and we turn out the lights and sing in just the candle light. It is a very beautiful way to remember the real reason for the season!
            Looking forward to the summer now, I plan to have another summer internship. I am going to intern with a company from back home called Tech Services Inc. My mom worked at TSI for almost 20 years, and I am proud to follow in her foot steps and work there too. I might even get to sit at what was her desk too. TSI is an ag research company. They have plots in several different states across the U.S. and work with corn, soybeans and wheat. At this point, I am not entirely sure what it is exactly I will be doing, however they told me I would get to move around and experience many different jobs throughout the summer.
            As we are heading into finals week I wish everyone the very best! Keep your head up and continue to work hard! Safe travels for everyone going home, where ever home is for you!

Have a safe, relaxing break and a Blessed Christmas!
See you in 2018!

As always, Boiler Up & Hammer Down!!


~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment