Pages

Monday, December 11, 2017

Semester End

Hello All!

Hope your start to finals week hasn't been to bad yet! I know that I've got a tough exam tomorrow that I should probably keep studying for! Besides the crazy weeks leading up to finals, I was able to escape campus for a few days to attend the National Conference on Cover Crops and Soil Health in Indianapolis. I went with the president of the Environmental Sciences Club here at Purdue; who just happens to be my best friend from day one on campus freshman year! The conference was very informative, and I learned a lot about cover crops and specific soil health concerns around the United States. The conference started each day with an opening and then a keynote address or a plenary session. We then were given the choice to attend three breakout sessions of our choice. One of keynotes featured a geologist discussing his view on soil health around the world. It was quite interesting to hear his perspective on the topic. Pictured below is David Montgomery (the geologist) discussing soil fertilization.

Image
David Montgomery--University of Washington

I chose to attend a breakout session on organic farming with cover crops across the United States, one about business opportunities with cover crops and soil health, and a multi-university discussion on herbicide uses in cover cropping systems and resistant weeds. Overall, these topics gave me a lot of new information and understanding to different systems that I might encounter in my future career.


Over the past semester, I have been able to attend three different conferences; each offering a unique perspective to agronomy and soils. For anyone interested in applying their classroom knowledge and learning more outside of it, I recommend trying to attend these events. The information you learn at them is great to take into the classroom for discussions. I look forward to the coming semesters and the conferences I can attend!


Image

Have a great break everyone!

Sarah Voglewede
svoglewe@purdue.edu






No comments:

Post a Comment