Pages

Friday, September 16, 2016

Welcome back, and welcome home!

Welcome Boilermakers!

For those of you who are new to the blog or the Agronomy Department I would like to introduce myself.  My name is Nick Thompson, I am currently a Junior majoring in Crop and Soil Management.  I am from Warren, Indiana which is a small rural community in between Fort Wayne and Muncie.  My family owns and operates two small businesses that I have had the pleasure of working at this past summer, one is a 400 acre row crop operation and the second is Huntington Tool & Die.  I spent most of my summer operating mills and lathes to produce various parts for customers around the country.  I do have a desire to work in the machining/engineering field but my real desire is the outdoors.  One of my favorite things outdoors is the smell of freshly tilled soil early in the morning and many of you would probably agree it is the 8th wonder of the world.

Harvest is underway in this area and will soon fire up in my neck of the woods.  Which is always an interesting time as I try and help on the farm, manage school work, and maximize my time where I really want to be, in a tree hunting deer.  Just like waking up to the smell of soil in the air during planting, nothing beats waking up in the fall and watching an Indiana sunrise.

This image really sums of my interests and passions.  Agriculture and wildlife management have been my interests since I was twelve.  

I want to encourage you all to follow your interests and do what makes you happiest.  I turned down a great internship this past summer to pursue something I had an interest in.  I will now be returning to the career fair in just a few short weeks to head back into the agriculture industry for this upcoming summer.  Not because I did not enjoy my past summer, it was a blast.  But, because my real desire is to work and improve agriculture and the environment.  

Boiler Up, Hammer Down!

Nick Thompson
thomp381@purdue.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment