Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Welcome Back to Purdue!

Hello Everyone!

My name is Sarah Voglewede and I am currently a sophomore here at Purdue. While I'm originally from Lafayette, IN, I had the amazing opportunity to live in Canada for three years, and now my family lives in a small town outside of Indianapolis, IN. While I am not from an agricultural background, I have found that I love the business and the science behind the products our industry produces. I'm majoring in Agronomy with a concentration in business and marketing and a minor in Food and Agribusiness Management. I am set to graduate in the spring of 2019. I am also part of two certificate programs within the College of Agriculture; the Dean's Scholars Program and the Leadership Development Certificate Program. This is my first year as an Agronomy Ambassador, and I am very excited to get to know more about the Department of Agronomy and all the opportunities it has to offer for its students!

Over the summer, I was a crop scout intern at Co-Alliance in Russellville, IN. I gained this internship through the College of Agriculture Career Fair; something I would encourage all students to attend. I was responsible for scouting over 2500 acres of corn and beans in the Russellville area. In many of my introductory agronomy classes, I learned how to identify weeds, diseases, and insects. However, when you are out in the field, these things look very different and can be harder to diagnose. This internship gave me the opportunity to practice the agronomic background I had been given and to gain a wider knowledge about field practices. This is a picture of all the scouts I worked with over the summer:
While neon orange may not be my favorite color, at least I was visible in the fields!

For all the new students this year, welcome to Purdue! I know exams are starting up and classes are getting harder, but all of this is leading to a dream job in the industry you are passionate about. At my time here at Purdue in the College of Agriculture I have learned that the one thing that makes our college and department stand out is the people. We have a dedicated faculty and staff that make it their mission to inspire students and create the best opportunities and experiences. Don't be afraid to ask questions or seek new opportunities during your time at Purdue. Feel free to ask me any questions; I would love to help!

Sarah Voglewede
svoglewe@purdue.edu







No comments:

Post a Comment