Pages

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Summer Learnin'

Welcome back everyone!

This summer as it always does flew by way too quickly, but it is nice to be back on campus with all the Boilers! This summer I was surrounded by Iowa State fans and Illinois fans as I was stationed in Geneseo, Illinois for my summer internship. Being by the quad cities I not only had a whole new agronomic learning experience, but a cultural experience as well. My internship was working for an agronomy consulting company who advised large farmer customers in their area and then traveled all over the country to advise company employees on agronomy and agronomy updates. Internships and their value cannot be appreciated or stressed enough! I have loved my past two internships and have gained so many contacts and knowledge by surrounding myself with individuals who are experts in the field I want to join.

This summer I worked side-by-side with an agronomist who focuses on research and improving farming techniques to bring the highest yields and most profits to farmers of today. Starting in the beginning of May I got to get behind planters to see how they were running and to check the seed spacing and depth to determine planting populations. From there I would compare that to the planting prescriptions made up to see if the planter was running how it needed to or if it needed an override. When plants started to emerge we would do initial population counts and spacing. Throughout the summer we would re-visit customer's fields for in-season checks. Together we assembled plans for herbicide spraying including what products to use, the rate, and the dates they should be sprayed. We did the same extensive research and planning for fungicide use on the fields we thought needed it the most. As the season went on we made adjustments and suggestions depending on the grower and the particular field.

When not helping farmer customers we would help train agronomists and salesmen. We hosted training sessions in conference rooms and out in the field to provide initial information and then help those in training apply the knowledge they had. The skills I gained and agronomy knowledge I learned was incredible and I cannot put a price on the experience I had. There are so many more great things I did this summer, but I would be rambling for days! Gaining travel experience from going to Nebraska and Ohio and everything in between was essential for future business travels.
You can learn so much more from internships than just technical skills. There is culture, skills, social communication, travel experience, and gaining contacts all wrapped up into one crazy summer! I would be so happy to share more about my personal experience or how to obtain an internship if you want to reach out to me!

Boiler Up!
Dakota Westphal
dwestpha@purdue.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment