Pages

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Summer Internship Experience

Hey everyone!!!

        I hope you all had a great summer! Classes are back in full swing here on Purdue’s campus as we finish up week two. Now that I am settled back at school I have been doing some reflection on my incredible summer spent in Constantine, MI.

        This summer I worked for Monsanto at one of their seed production sites where I got to work in pre-commercial corn. I had an incredible experience working under a manager that gave me a lot of responsibilities. I was responsible for creating the roguing, detasseling and machinery schedules for 238 fields that covered about 1,500 acres total. In doing this I managed three contracted crews, three area supervisors, and six inspectors. My other main role for the summer was helping our agronomist and area supervisors to diagnose problem fields and write reports to send to headquarters for supply forecasting.


        I also had a summer project that I worked on all summer where I collected data to help analyze the precision agriculture in pre-commercial corn production. The goal of my project was to determine what the best performing planters were and to compare the different precision agriculture equipment that they had. In doing this we were looking to find the most productive and cost effective equipment to outfit more planters with.

        All of these experienced allowed me to take the information that I have been learning over the past two years in my classes and apply it to real life scenarios. I also gained a lot of leadership skills in the roles that I was given which have helped to build my confidence in the field of agriculture.  

As always if you have any questions about my experiences or the department as a whole feel free to reach out to me via email at jfibbe@purdue.edu 


                    


No comments:

Post a Comment