Pages

Monday, November 14, 2016

Thankful & Ready for Some Turkey!


Hello everyone, 

A lot has changed since I last posted in the blog! The fall weather has officially set in, classes have gotten even more crazy, and finals week is quickly creeping up on us. As college students you can imagine that we look forward to any break we can get. We get a whole 3 days off of classes to relax, stuff our faces, and shop till we drop! 

I was fortunate enough to get a mini break from classes and campus last week from going to Phoenix, Arizona. As a member of the Agronomy Club you are affiliated with the national student organization SASES (Students of Agronomy, Soils and Environmental Sciences.) This year the national meeting was held in Arizona and members of the Agronomy Club get the opportunity to attend and compete in competitions such as crops judging showcase, presidents trophy, speech contest, visual presentation contest and so much more. I've had multiple opportunities to travel for SASES meetings, including Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minneapolis, Texas, California and now Arizona! I'd have to say Arizona has been one of my favorites, the weather was amazing and the agriculture is so much different than what we have here in Indiana.

Through the SASES organization we get to attend tours. On my tour we got to visit a rose farm (I never knew there was such a thing in Arizona), a radish farm, a composting facility, a small scale organic farm, and a park full of desert plants and cacti. SASES has really opened my eyes to the various types of agriculture across our country. From avocados, cranberries, cotton, corn, research facilities and equipment manufacturing, I've gotten the opportunity to experience so much through SASES! 

As Thanksgiving approaches I have so much to be thankful for, my friends and family, attending a wonderful university, and receiving the opportunities of a life time. As a senior looking back to my first semester I never imagined I'd receive so many opportunities that I have here at Purdue. While I love being at Purdue, I also enjoy going home to spend time with my family. I wish you all a great Thanksgiving! 

Till next time, 

Kerri 

No comments:

Post a Comment