Pages

Monday, November 21, 2016

A Much Needed Thanksgiving Break

Happy (early) Thanksgiving!!


This semester has been quite hectic for me (as well as all the other ambassadors) so far.  Between taking microbiology, biochemistry, and physics, and being involved with sorority events and working on my capstone project, I am very much looking forward to Thanksgiving break.  In honor of the holiday, I have decided to compile a list of some of my favorite Thanksgiving foods and family activities that I can't wait to enjoy over break.

My sister, Shelby, and I during
Thanksgiving last year
To start off my break, I'm going home on Thanksgiving Eve to enjoy a nice steak night with my dad and my sister.  My dad and I started a little tradition this summer in which he made lean, sirloin steaks (my favorite!) every time I came home on the weekends from my internship.  Now, every time I come home from college, we keep the tradition going.  Plus, I am super excited that my sister will be joining us that night! Unfortunately, due to her Murray State Rodeo Team involvement, she won't be able to spend time with us on the actual Thanksgiving holiday.  So I'm very happy I'll be able to spend time with her the night before and catch up.  Many say that my sister and I are pretty much twins when it comes to our personalities- and that's actually pretty true.  I would say she's one of my best friends and she keeps my life very interesting (to say the least), even though she lives 5 hours away.

Each year for Thanksgiving, my family and I go to my grandmother's house in Kentucky- and let me tell ya, there is NOTHING better than Thanksgiving in the south! My grandmother makes the best homemade rolls and noodles there are (family recipes of course), along with a Kentucky Derby chocolate pie.  This year, I want to try to put my cooking skills to the test and make a Razzle-berry pie along with some homemade mac and cheese.  I'm hoping Pintrest will be able to help me out on that. ;) And of course, Thanksgiving could not be complete without turkey and a honey-smoked ham.  Yum, yum.  All this talk about food is making me far too excited for the holiday.

Aside from the food and time away from school, I am really looking forward for some quality family time.  It is so easy to get consumed in all that is going on at school or life in general that it can be easy to forget to take time to spend with loved ones.  I hope all of you get to take the day to really appreciate your family and friends and remember all that you are thankful for!  We have so many blessings as American citizens, and so much to be grateful for




Wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday,

Hallie Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment