Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

Andrew Wilhelm

Hello my name is Andrew Wilhelm and I am a senior in Turf Science and Management. I have been an Agronomy Ambassador since April 2013 and have enjoyed every minute of it. I am also involved with Turf Club where we get to compete against other universities at national conferences each year to test our skills and knowledge up against other turf science programs. Pictured below is my team where we placed 3rd overall at the National Sports Turf Managers Association Student Challenge. Pictured from L to R (Andrew Marking, Zach Ferguson, Andrew Wilhelm, Matt Dudley). It has given me the opportunity to get more involved with my department. I have been able to lead tours of our department for prospective students, speak with people about what agronomy has to offer at Family Weekend in the fall and at Spring Fest. This department as a whole has so much to offer to prepare you for what lies ahead of you after college; your career. In the past three years I have had sports turf internships with the Purdue University Intercollegiate Athletics Department Sports Turf Crew, the MLS team Real Salt Lake, and the MLB San Francisco Giants. This summer I will be interning in both Ireland and Scotland doing a multitude of things that I have never experienced before. The first half of the summer I'll be working at two horse racing tracks called The Curragh and The Naas. The second half I'll be working for a sports field and golf course construction company, and one of only two USGA Physical Soils Labs in all of Europe. I look forward in what the summer holds for me and the once and a lifetime experience. The Purdue University Agronomy Department has lived up to and more than what I have expected. I am eager to post more about my experiences here at Purdue University and my internship over-seas this summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment