Pages

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Hello everyone! Welcome back to Purdue!

My name is Ashley Thurman. I am a sophomore studying agronomy with a focus on crops and soils. I grew up on a family farm in Hartford City, Indiana. On campus I live in Windsor Hall. I was a 10 year 4-H member. When I stay on campus for the weekend I go to church at Campus house. I am also a part of the Purdue Horticulture Society. I also work in the horticulture department as a lab helper. I work in the green house planting plants to prepare for the students to observe them. It is an enjoyable job, however the down side to it is grading lab reports.

This summer I had a summer internship with Remington Seeds in Lebanon, Indiana. I was a seed corn crop scout. We started the summer off mapping fields. Mapping fields consisted of marking what was planted in the surrounding fields and counting panels across the fields. After we finished mapping all the fields we moved on to population counts. We did counts according to how many acres the fields were. Along with counts, we also scouted fields, we looked for anything that was unusual, or anything that was not supposed to be there. Weeds were the main thing we marked on the reports we had to fill out. The last reports we had to make for each field were detasseling reports. For those reports we counted male tassels and female silks and checked to make sure that the female rows were all detasseled.
Overall I really enjoyed my summer. I had a good experience working for Remington. I made a new friend, the other intern. I also built connections that will be lifelong with my other coworkers and my boss. I am proud to say that I was invited to come back next summer if I choose to do so! 

Have a good Semester! 
Boiler Up!

~Ashley
 

No comments:

Post a Comment