Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Welcome Back Boilers! Summer sure did fly by. I hope everyone enjoyed your time off and are ready for another exiting year at Purdue!

Over the summer I had an internship with a company from back near where I am from, just outside of Bluffton, IN, called Tech Services Inc. (TSI). This company does many kinds of plot research on corn, soybeans, and wheat. While I was there for the summer, I worked with mainly corn and soybeans.
At the beginning of the summer, I mainly helped prepare for planting. That involves packaging seed and writing stakes to mark the individual plots. TSI has plots in many different states. I was a part of a 6-person group that traveled to the plots to mark it with stakes, do population counts, some soil test, as well as vigor scores. We traveled from Indiana and the states between here and South Dakota. The furthest south we traveled, was to Tennessee. We also did short day trips to Ohio and Michigan. It was neat to get to travel the back roads of these states.
After we finished traveling around to the plots, I returned to the office to enter the data we collected into the computer. I also spent a week at a breeding nursery at ConAgra in Brookston, IN. I learned how to pollinate corn during that week. I did get the opportunity to learn about plot combines before I finished my time at TSI too.

While I was busy at work, I was also busy with my family during the weeks I wasn’t on the road traveling. We are currently in the middle of remodeling our home. This summer we have been working hard to make some progress. We repainted nearly every room in our house and are now ready for flooring! This new update is exciting for us!

For the first time in two years I got to join my family on our family vacation. We go together to Lake Cumberland, Kentucky to camp and spend the week on the lake. We have been doing this trip for as long as I can remember and we never fail to have a good time! For the first time this year we tried out a new camp ground. It was located up the river from the Wolf Creek Dam. We had a neat view of the river right across the road from our camp sites. My brother and I took a bike ride across the dam, that was a big hill to go up, but was defiantly worth it! During the day we spend our day out on the water in the boat. Water sports are a lot of fun; my favorite is wake surfing behind the boat.

I return to Purdue with many new rolls. One of those being the new Horticulture Society President. I am looking forward to this opportunity and challenge! I am also excited to get to be an assistant for the flower arranging and house plant class (HORT 360) as well! This will also be neat opportunity as well as a good learning experience!

Although summer has come to an end, we are all starting this new beginning of the school year together. I wish the best of luck to all of you! As always, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to email me!

Boiler Up & Hammer Down!

Ashley Thurman

No comments:

Post a Comment