Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2018

The Life of a Princess



Hello All!


Amidst a very busy final semester of my undergraduate career, I have taken on a new role... I am honored to have been selected as one of the 2018 500 Festival Princesses!  I am so thrilled to be representing Indiana and to have the experience of a lifetime interacting with Indiana residents and the 500,000 people that participate in the 500 Festival’s events and programs. While it is exciting being able to walk around the city in a tiara and sash, the responsibilities of a Princess go beyond the outward appearance…

Being a 500 Festival Princess is about being an ambassador for the 500 Festival, the city of Indianapolis, and the entire state.  The 500 Festival is a non-profit organization that focuses on providing life-enriching events and programs that celebrate the spirit and legacy of the Indy 500 and positively impacts the community and state.  Throughout my year as a Princess, I will gain leadership and professional skills by participating in the 500 Festival Leadership Development Program, presented by BKD. The Leadership Development Program includes workshops, a series of speakers, and the opportunity to job shadow professionals in different fields. In addition, I will have the opportunity to network with industry and political figures while making some amazing friendships with fellow Princesses along the way.  I will be paired up with a member of the 500 Festival’s Board of Directors, who will serve as a mentor for me over the coming months. One of the aspects I'm most looking forward to is civic-engagement and getting to serve the greater community.

During the next year, I will spend numerous hours focusing on outreach projects.  In outreaches, I will be able to serve the community through volunteer work, share my experience as a Princess and knowledge regarding the 500 Festival to a wide-range of individuals.  Particularly, I am looking forward to the opportunity to go back to my hometown and giving back to the community that shaped me into the person I am today.

Thus far, I have attended the 2018 500 Festival Princess Program orientation in which I mingled with the other 32 Princesses (all super talented and sweet, by the way, and did I mention the group has a cumulative GPA of 3.72?!) and met 500 Festival staff, members of the Board of Directors and several other business leaders from Indianapolis.  It was such a wonderful weekend hearing words of wisdom and encouragement from Princess Program Alumnae, directors, and corporate sponsors.  This past Thursday, my first official 500 Festival event as a Princess, I took part in the 500 Festival Corporate Member Breakfast, listening to some inspirational speakers share the impact that the 500 Festival has had on them, and speaking with some of the organization's biggest supporters. 


While it may only be March, May will be here before I know it!  I have less than 60 days until May and 100 days before the big Indy 500 race weekend, so I am trying my best to take in every opportunity I can to build meaningful relationships and leave a lasting-impact. 


Kindly,

Hallie

No comments:

Post a Comment