Pages

Friday, March 23, 2018

Update on an Exciting and Busy Semester!

Hello everyone! I hope that you all had a great spring break and are looking forward to finishing the year off right! This year I did not travel anywhere special but instead stayed at home and caught up with many different friends and family members. It's always nice to have a break even if you are staying in cold, cold Indiana or travelling somewhere warm! Last year I went to Costa Rica for a study abroad trip and so I was really missing that!

Anyway, this semester has been quite the busy one. I have continued to be involved heavily with Agronomy Club, Agronomy Ambassadors, Collegiate Farm Bureau, Best Buddies, as well as keeping up with homework, friends, and other activities! But it has been manageable. To start things off, I recently applied for a study abroad trip that will take place over winter break (10 days) in Haiti. It is a service learning trip focusing on animals and food security in Haiti. I know quite a few people who have been on the trip and say how awesome it is and how much of a life-changer it is. So, I am definitely looking forward to that!

The Ag Alumni Fish Fry is also another big event that took place back in February. This was my second year participating and helping with it and I loved it just as much as I did last time! Both last year and this year I was on the coffee crew, serving coffee to the people who were coming in. If you ever have the opportunity to help with this event (which I am sure that you will because the College of Ag is always looking for help!) I would highly take it! You get the chance to meet so many different people so the networking opportunities are ENDLESS! You also get to hear from great speakers, see awards handed out, and eat some good food! It's also a great resume builder so again, I would highly suggest it!

Another thing that did go on before spring break was an Ag Panel that the Agronomy Club, ASM, and Collegiate Farm Bureau put on. There were about 5 panelists from different areas in agriculture who talked about agriculture's past, present, and future. It was an awesome opportunity for students to come together and hear different sides of certain topics and to really build networks with the professionals that were present. Hopefully this event continues to take place as I think that it was well organized and highly informational!

This semester I also added a Horticulture minor so those classes are underway right now! As an avid plant collector and grower I thought that this would be the perfect minor for me. I am currently in HORT 101 and HORT 110 (different speakers) which I am absolutely loving as well. If you are looking to add a minor, I would suggest looking at that early on, especially if the minor is not in the College of Ag. Minors that are in the college may be easier to achieve (based on what classes you are taking and which ones you have yet to take) because a lot of the classes carry over to different majors and minors. So again, I am super happy with my choice of the horticulture minor and look forward to seeing where it takes me!

I hope that the semester has gone well for you all as well! I know how hectic the spring semester can be but we are all so close to the end of the year! Make sure to finish out the year strong! Make it a good one!

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to email me: rober377@purdue.edu
Boiler Up!!


No comments:

Post a Comment