Pages

Thursday, November 9, 2017

Leaves are Falling, Autumn is Calling!

I hope everyone has been having a successful harvest (despite the cold, wet conditions)! As this semester is approaching its end, so is my term as being the President of my professional agriculture sorority, Sigma Alpha. Since I am a senior graduating in May of 2018, my officer positions in the clubs that I am involved with will be handed off to the next term of leaders for the 2018 calendar year. I will also be passing off my role as the Agronomy Club Social Media Chair. Both organizations have been an integral part of my college experiences at Purdue University. I will miss all of the faculty and members who have become close acquaintances with me throughout my four years at Purdue; we will definitely stay in touch for the years to come as I start my professional career after graduation!

The past few weeks I have been in the process of interviewing for a job post-graduation. With all of the mergers occurring in the agriculture industry (referring to the corporate seed and chemical mergers), jobs are a bit hard to come by right now. Since agriculture is a commodity market, high and lows will always occur, and to stay afloat in this downturn, those who diversify their farming operations will be the real winners in the industry. If I don't end up in agriculture directly after I graduate, I would like to go into sales and finance. My major is Agronomy, with a concentration in Business and Marketing, and minors in Food & Agribusiness Management and Weed Science. My time at Purdue has exemplified to me that interacting with customer relations and solving problems is my passion, so I would be thankful to end up in either trade (agriculture or finance).

The Agronomy Senior Capstone class, AGRY 598, has been a long (four hours, one day a week) and interesting class this semester! My group is covering the topic of Drainage Management with Usage of Cover Crops. All of the groups will be done with showing our presentations in less than a month. I am eager to see how the other groups present their agronomic subjects as well! We agronomy seniors have become exposed to various technologies in the industry, as well as different cropping system management practices. I have gained a lot of information about how to apply the various farming methods into my future career. I would notably recommend taking AGRY 598 as a senior capstone course!

I recently celebrated my birthday, and my friends and family came down to Purdue for the Nebraska football game!


-Harvest Blessings & Boiler Up!

Deatra Gremaux



No comments:

Post a Comment