Pages

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Teaching Biochemistry 309

Hello All!



As the semester has begun to settle in, I'm really excited to share my experiences so far working as a Teaching Assistant for the Biochemistry 309 course here at Purdue!  I took the course last year, and while it was quite challenging, I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about biomolecules, how to perform Bradford and enzyme activity assays, and how to construct my own protocol to purify an enzyme I had no previous experience with!  The course really helped me gain proficiency in using lab equipment and working with spectrophotometers, and I know the skills I gained will help in any future lab setting I am in.  I also really enjoyed the lab coordinator, Dr. Hart, as she is so committed to student learning.  She's very detail-oriented, and I truly look up to her as a role model in the science world.


For all these reasons, I was super thrilled when I applied and was accepted to be one of her TA's for this semester!  This is my first time working as a TA, and I must say, I've learned so much from the experience already.  One of the key lessons I've learned so far is how to be patient and to be more aware of the differences in learning habits students have.  While a calculation may seem intuitive to me, it may be a little challenging for someone else to grasp, so I've learned how to break down information in a way that helps students understand concepts better.  I've also enjoyed working one-on-one with students during my office hours, and I appreciate it when they want to improve on their skills and better understand the class material.  I know my experiences now will really help when it comes to being a TA in grad school.  I can't wait to continue to help students learn as the semester continues, especially when they start purifying LDH!



Best of luck with this semester!

-Hallie

No comments:

Post a Comment