Pages

Friday, September 8, 2017

Study Abroad at Purdue

I was lucky enough to spend a semester at Wageningen University in Wageningen, the Netherlands during the spring semester of my sophomore year.  While I was there, I took courses that contributed to my degree plan, so going away did not delay my graduation. I also took a few classes that allowed me to lighten up some of my last semesters. The education system is different in the Netherlands; I was in class from 8:30 to 5:30 everyday, but there was no homework! They also operate on a period system, which meant that I one class for about a month then another one would start.  In addition to an invaluable academic experience, it was possibly a once-in-a-lifetime experience to live in another country and become immersed in the culture. I took Dutch classes and traveled around most of the country. I also was able to travel around the rest of Europe during breaks. Because Wageningen is such an international school, I enjoyed meeting people from all over the world. I had a really fun and enriching semester at Wageningen University!

One of the most exciting things about the College of Agriculture is that they have their own study abroad office. This is a huge advantage because it helps the students ensure that studying abroad can fit in their plan of study or is applicable to their field. Study abroad programs differ by length: there are trips over Winter and Spring Breaks, short-term summer programs (2-4 weeks), long term summer (more than 4 weeks) and semester/year exchange. The shorter-term programs are typically lead by Purdue faculty. Currently, Purdue University is offering the Purdue Moves Scholarship to help offset the costs of a study abroad program.

I really encourage every new student to consider studying abroad during their time at Purdue. For more information about the Purdue Agriculture Study Abroad, please visit https://ag.purdue.edu/ipia/studyabroad/Pages/default.aspx.

Boiler up!

Mary Rose Mangan

No comments:

Post a Comment