Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Greetings from Hailey Edmondson!

Greetings!

My name is Hailey Edmondson, and I am a new Agronomy Ambassador. I just finished an amazing first year, and am now a Sophomore in Plant Genetics, Breeding, and Biotechnology in Purdue's Agronomy Department. I am from San Diego, but West Lafayette is now my home away from home. My academic interests include agronomy and agriculture, and I am also interested in biotechnology. I am very involved in entrepreneurship groups on campus, including the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Certificate Program and the Professional Entrepreneurship Fraternity, Epsilon Nu Tau.

This summer I am staying on Purdue's campus doing research with the Purdue iGEM Team. For anyone interested in genetics, iGEM is an international collegiate genetic engineering organization. Universities from all over use genetics and synthetic biology to create a research project to present at an international conference. The most exciting thing about the Purdue iGEM Team is that this year our project is related to Agronomy! We are modifying microbial soil ecologies to optimize nutrient uptake in plant systems. I'm very excited to keep everyone updated on this project.

Keep your eyes open for a presentation the iGEM team will be having in the fall so that other students in Agronomy can learn about the project and the different applications genetics can provide to agronomic interests.

I look forward to seeing everyone in the Fall, have a great summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment