Pages

Friday, April 4, 2014

Turf Club

Hello Everyone,


If you’re anything like me I’m sure you’re wondering where the spring weather is hiding! I wanted to take this post to give a deeper outlook on a club in the agronomy department, Turf Club, and the importance of becoming involved on campus.  Joining clubs and becoming a leader within is something I remember hearing on almost every campus visit I made and it has been an extremely rewarding process taking that advice.  It seems like in all the job interviews I’ve had, the majority of the questions asked I have been able to answer from an experience I’ve had as the leader of a club.  The turf club is a group of students whose main goal is to compete at collegiate quiz bowl tournaments.  The first tournament we attend is hosted by the Sports Turf Managers Association (STMA), which is a comprehensive exam over the management of baseball and football stadiums.  The second is hosted by the Golf Course Superintends Association of America (GCSAA), which as the name implies is an exam over turfgrass management on golf courses.  These exams are taken in teams of four and include anything from soil management and aerification practices to everyday turf health concerns.  Each event surrounds a conference, which provides great networking opportunities in which many students have came out with internships.  When not in competition mode the group has cookouts and golf scrambles making this a very tight knit community.  Clubs are a great way to meet new friends and become leaders in your industry setting you apart from the rest and something you should definitely consider making time for while at Purdue.  As mentioned in a previous post I have been president for the last three years and just recently stepped down with graduation upcoming.  It has been an extremely rewarding experience and I want to thank all the members who made it possible and I would like to wish future success to upcoming teams.  If anyone has any questions or would like information on joining please don’t hesitate to email me (mille926@purdue.edu). Until then look for our putt putt fundraiser outside Lilly Hall at Spring Fest!

No comments:

Post a Comment