Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Michaela Turner- Agronomy Ambassador

Hi, my name is Michaela Turner and I am one of the newest agronomy ambassadors. I am a soon to be junior studying Sustainable Agronomic Systems- Management. I come from a family owned and operated grain and livestock farm in Grant County, Indiana. It was on our farm where I developed a love and passion for agriculture, but it took me awhile to figure out that it was my life calling. I knew I wanted to do something to help people. For the longest time, I was going to be a social worker, and then I switched to a special education teacher. Finally, I realized that being part of the agriculture industry is one of the biggest differences that I can make.

Honestly, I was scared to death to come to Purdue, but I quickly realized that it was one of the best decisions that I could have made. The agronomy department is a close nit community, and my home away from home. Purdue has opened so many doors to great opportunities for me in the two years that I have been here. I am so proud to say that I am a Purdue Boilermaker!

One great opportunity that Purdue has given me is two internships. Last summer, I was a Maize Product Development Intern, for DuPont Pioneer. At this internship I was able to conduct my own research project and present it at their headquarters in Johnston, Iowa. This summer I am looking forward to being a production intern for Beck's Hybrids in Atlanta, Indiana.

Long term, it is my life long dream to be able to return to my home farm. I know that dream is something I will have to work towards. After college I see myself being a sales agronomist for a major seed company. I want to work alongside farmers helping them meet their full potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment