Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2018

Greetings,
     As nice as this summer has been, it feels good to be back and with my friends here at school. Many people back home tell me Junior year is the best year of college, whether or not it is I spose I will soon find out. I am looking forward to my last two years of school now that most of my general education classes are out of the way and I am finally into the meat and potatoes of Purdue Agronomy. For any perspective or new students out there I strongly encourage getting involved at Purdue outside of your classes. Yes school is important, but I have learnt so much more from my experiences on the Purdue Crops and Soils Judging teams I would not trade for the world. I also have made good friends in the clubs I have took part in here at school too.
     Upon graduation from Purdue, I plan to return to the family farm. I never had to go to college upon graduating high school, but as I look around at some of the more successful and competitive farmers in my area, I realize that a college education is a good tool to have as that's what they posses, in addition to good ambition and work ethic. This past summer I got to spend my time on the farm, I was excited to apply some of the skills I have learnt from school such as creating a comprehensive budget when we started considering going to a wean-to-finish operation for our hog enterprise. I also made varying nitrogen recommendations across different soil types on our farm when we went to side dress nitrogen. Has college taught me everything, not by a long shot and I hope college freshman realize that college is good for throwing ideas at you. However, you do not truly learn until you combine those ideas with real world experience, and in my case, some of my family's common sense to see what is really applicable or not. Good luck to all at school, and best of luck wherever life takes you!

Troye Hook
Purdue Agronomy 2020

Part of the pleasures of our farrow-to-finish operation.

Some of the scenic rolling ground we farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment