Pages

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Happy New Year


Happy New Year!

This school year, I have had the opportunities to go to two professional conferences: the Agronomy Society of America (ASA) Annual Meeting in October and the American Meteorological Society (AMS) Annual Meeting last week. 

I went to the ASA meeting with other members of Agronomy Club, and we participated in the student conference.  As a part of the student conference, the organizers put on a series of competitions between the schools.  I participated in the visual competition and the Quiz Bowl team.  The visual presentation contest included making a short PowerPoint presentation introducing a problem and a solution to that problem.  I went to the AMS meeting to present the results from my summer internship.  While I was there, I learned about future opportunities in meteorology and climatology and I listened to lectures about specific topics that interested me. 

Both the conferences gave me the opportunity to network with professionals, hear academic lectures and talk to graduate programs.  Going to a conference is a valuable experience for a student, because it can help to inform career or graduate school decisions.  I talked to professionals who were eager to answer my questions, and I met peers from other schools who are in the same position as me.

Boiler up!

Mary Rose Mangan
mmangan@purdue.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment