Pages

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Fall Semester

This past fall was a busy semester! As harvest wrapped up, my sorority kept me busy with barn dances, our fall philanthropy (where we sold warm cider, caramel corn, and long sleeve Comfort Color shirts to benefit Breaking New Ground, Indiana AgrAbility), and wrapping up my last semester as recruitment chair! Sigma Alpha is the professional agricultural sorority that I belong to, and have been a part of since my freshman year of college! Our mission is to cultivate professional women in agriculture. I have gained not only sorority sisters, but friendships that will last a lifetime! We are a professional sorority that meets once a week, on Monday nights for chapter. Currently, we don't have a house, but we are considering looking into Greek housing due to how much our chapter has grown in membership the past few years. Sigma Alpha currently has around 80 active members, which is a large membership for not having a designated Greek house. Our philanthropy, Breaking New Ground, is a huge reason why I joined Sigma Alpha. Breaking New Ground is an outreach of Purdue's Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, that has become internationally recognized as the primary source for information and resources on rehabilitation technology for persons working in agriculture. Sigma Alpha raises monetary funds to provide assistance for farmers who may need more access into their farm machinery so that they can purchase lifts for their combines and tractors, and even wheelchair accessible ramps for their barns. I have an uncle who was involved in a farming accident, so Breaking New Ground is an organization near and dear to my heart! Here is the link to Indiana AgrAbility's website if anyone is interested in checking that out! https://engineering.purdue.edu/~bng/index.php

Sigma Alpha Beta Chapter can be reached at: Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SigmaAlphaBetaChapter/ 
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sigmaalpha_beta/ or username: @sigmaalpha_beta
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SigmaAlpha_Beta or username: @SigmaAlpha_Beta


In October I started working in the Weed Science Department under Dr. Brian Young, as an undergraduate research assistant. BTNY 304, the Introduction to Weed Science course, was one of my favorite classes at Purdue that I took as a freshman, that was taught by Dr. Young. I highly recommend taking BTNY 304; I learned a lot about weed identification and Integrated Pest Management (IPM), that has been extremely helpful with summer agronomy internships! Because I enjoyed the Intro to Weed Science class so much, I became interested in working in Dr. Young's lab with his graduate students on their projects that mainly deal with understanding herbicide resistant mechanisms in weeds. I also picked up a Weed Science minor because I love learning about herbicides and weed management so much! I enjoy working in the greenhouses and being able to work with plants and research projects, while still being a full time student. Working on campus in a lab is convenient because I can work flexible hours in between classes. I am truly thankful for all of the undergraduate opportunities Purdue has to offer College of Agriculture students.

Image may contain: Deatra Gremaux, smiling, sky, outdoor and nature

Above is a picture of me in one of my dad's soybean fields! 

He also said, "This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground. Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed spouts and grows, though he does not know how. All by itself the soil produces grain-first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head. As soon as the grain is ripe, he puts the sickle to it, because harvest has come." Mark 4:26-29 ðŸŒ±ðŸŒ½ðŸ’“ 


Also, this past fall, one of my close friends from home took senior pictures for my brother Jarren, who will be attending the University of Northwestern Ohio (UNOH) this summer for Ag Diesel Mechanics.  It feels just like yesterday I was in his shoes, ending my senior year of high school, preparing for coming to Purdue! I am glad us Gremaux kids are keeping ag in the fam! Although Lima, Ohio, isn't close to Purdue, it is close to my hometown, so I will be making some trips home to Decatur, Indiana, to then visit my brother in college.




No comments:

Post a Comment