Pages

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Senior Year is Almost Over...wait what?

Hello Everyone!!

Wow. I cannot believe that I only have 7-weeks left until graduation! Senior year has been a crazy whirl-wind for me, but I have got to take part is some incredible opportunities and experiences.

Over the past 2 years, I have been working on an undergraduate research project comparing the prey base of eastern hellbenders across 3 streams. The eastern hellbender is the largest salamander in North America and endangered in the state of Indiana. Over the past summer I collected macroinvertebrate and crayfish samples from the Blue River, IN, Indian Creek, IN, and Toccoa River, GA. I identified over 15,000 macroinvertebrates to order over the past several months and spent 378 hours in the lab on my project. I just finished running my statistics last week before leaving for Cuba on a Mission Trip with St. Thomas Aquinas. Cuba was a breath of fresh air and I got to meet some incredible people who greatly impacted my life.

Mission Trip in Cuba with St. Thomas Aquinas. 

This weekend I will be presenting my research at the Indiana Academy of Science Conference at the J. W. Marriott in downtown Indianapolis. I found significant results in my data that will help with advance hellbender conservation in the state of Indiana and I am excited to present my findings professionally.

Me working in the lab on my project. 


I will be forever grateful for the opportunities that I have gotten thanks to being a Boilermaker. 
Hail Purdue,

Veronica Yager
Senior
Natural Resources and Environmental Science

No comments:

Post a Comment