Pages

Friday, September 30, 2016


Hey future boilermakers (and prospective boilermakers!),

          For those of you who don't know me, my name is Sarah Letsinger. I am a senior in agronomy with a concentration in crop and soil management and a minor in history! I will be graduating in May (which is hard to believe). When I think about my time here at Purdue and about what advice I could give to younger students, a lot comes to mind. I could give advice on classes or student organization opportunities, but when it comes down to it almost anyone can do that. I would rather talk about figuring out what is the most important to you.
       Everyone here at Purdue has the end goal of getting a degree and a job. However along the way you often find yourself and what is the most important to you in life. This past summer I had the opportunity to intern for a company in Illinois. They would have paid me well and it would have been a great experience, but my last summer at home I made the decision I wanted to be with my family. I took an internship with Co-Alliance in my hometown. It was more important to me to be able to see them every day, have the opportunity to go on vacation, helping out on the farm, and cooking dinner with my mom. All the while I was able to work for a great company and even better people! Many people push the idea of having students "go away" to get an experience. If that is what you want to do then go for it! But if you want to stay at home over the summer, you can still have a great work experience.
       Everyone who comes to Purdue for college expects to graduate with a degree of some sort, have gained knowledge and experience in their area of study, and have participated in many things that can be added to the resume. And while all of those things are extremely important, I think it's even more important to figure out what your morals, character, and interests in life are. Future employers are not only looking for someone who knows how to do something, but they are also looking for someone who can be a team player, comes to work with a good attitude, and works well with others. While here at Purdue (or wherever you go) I not only encourage you all to pursue your passions and education, but to make friends, get out of your comfort zone, and take time often to reflect on what kind of person you want to be and what's most important to you in life.

Sarah Letsinger








 




No comments:

Post a Comment