Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Hi everyone! I’m Kerri Swingley, I am currently a junior majoring in Agronomic Business and Marketing. My hometown is Selma, IN where I grew up on my small family farm raising beef cattle and row crops. I plan to graduate in May 2017 and upon graduation I plan to begin my career path in agronomy and sales.

This summer I was blessed with the amazing opportunity to be an agronomic marketing intern for John Deere Corporate. I packed up my bags and headed north to the John Deere Minneapolis Training Center in Minnesota. At the training center I worked with the training staff to train dealers from across Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and even Canada! The training program I focused on was John Deere AMS (Ag Management Solutions) dealing with the GPS receivers and display systems. One of my largest projects consisted of working with 2 product developers to produce information about how the equipment and technology was beneficial to the farmer’s agronomic and economic practices. I created agronomic handouts for dealers across the U.S to use when suggesting the right piece of machinery for the farmers operation and how the machinery was valuable to the agronomics. I also produced information focusing on nitrogen application efficiency to be taught at John Deere’s Large Ag Training program in Orlando, FL where it will be used to train over 2,000 dealers! Along with my projects I also got to ride along in brand new unreleased equipment and see new technology, which was pretty awesome. While in Minnesota I also got to visit The Mall of America (bye-bye paychecks!), Lake Superior, and go on some kayaking adventures in the state of 10,000 lakes.


I’m extremely excited to start out this semester as an Agronomy Ambassador; I don’t think I could put into words how much I admire Purdue Agriculture and the Agronomy Department. It’s completely mind blowing the amount of opportunity I have received attending Purdue. If you’re looking to get involved in agronomy, you’ve come to the right place! There are so many things to get involved in, the faculty is top notch and the connections you build will last a lifetime, all while receiving a great education.  I hope some of my stories and experiences through the semester are able to give a little perspective of what it’s like to be involved in such a great major!
      Minnehaha Falls in Minnesota


Until next time, Boiler Up!

-Kerri

No comments:

Post a Comment